Snack Almond FAQs
This page contains frequently asked questions about our snack almonds. If you have a question that you don't see answered here, please send it to us using our Contact form and we'll respond as quickly as possible.
- How should I store Blue Diamond almonds?
- How do I toast whole natural or raw almonds?
- How do I blanch or remove the skin from whole natural almonds?
- Are Blue Diamond almonds genetically engineered (GMO)?
- Are Blue Diamond products “peanut free”?
- Are Blue Diamond products “gluten free”?
- Why do some of your seasoned products such as Smokehouse® have fewer carbohydrates per serving than your Whole Natural?
- Does Blue Diamond sell organic products?
- Do Blue Diamond products contain the ingredient MSG?
- Is the salt used in your products iodized?
- Some of your products contain the ingredient “maltodextrin”. Does maltodextrin contain gluten?
- Do you use “soy” in your products?
- Where does the “Smoke” in your Smokehouse® Almonds come from? Is it vegan?
- Do any of your snack almonds products contain dairy ingredients?
Our snack almonds are packaged in air tight containers to preserve freshness. Once the packages are opened the almonds should be consumed within one to two weeks. Storing almonds in the refrigerator will extend the shelf life after opening to about four weeks. When storing products in the refrigerator use sealed containers to protect against absorption of moisture and odor.
Spread almonds uniformly in a shallow layer on an ungreased baking pan. Bake in a preheated oven at 325-350°F for 15-30 minutes until the internal nut color is golden in color. Stir occasionally for an even roast. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Almonds will continue to roast slightly and darken while cooling.
Add almonds to a sauce pan containing water. Bring the water to a boil for about one minute. Remove the almonds from the heat and let stand for several minutes. Pour the almonds and hot water through a colander. Rinse the hot almonds with cold water until they are cool and can be safely handled. Remove the skin by pinching the almond between your thumb and forefinger. Dry the blanched almonds in a 250°F oven until crisp.
No. Blue Diamond uses California almonds grown by our grower co-operative members without the use of genetic engineering or gene manipulation. The varieties of almonds available were developed using traditional agricultural breeding techniques.
Blue Diamond branded products produced in our facilities are peanut free. We do not process, manufacture, store, or handle peanuts or peanut products in our facilities.
Most of our products do not contain ingredients derived from wheat or other gluten grains. The following Blue Diamond products contain gluten.
- Jordan Almonds
- Wasabi & Soy Sauce Almonds
Why do some of your seasoned products such as Smokehouse® have fewer carbohydrates per serving than your Whole Natural?
Products such as Smokehouse contain ingredients other than almonds. These additional ingredients have fewer carbohydrates than the almonds resulting in a product with fewer carbohydrates per serving overall.
We currently do not offer organic products.
Blue Diamond does not add the ingredient MSG (monosodium glutamate) to our products.
The salt is not iodized.
While some forms of maltodextrin can contain gluten, we utilize maltodextrin made from corn. Corn does not contain gluten.
Some of our products use soy ingredients such as hydrolyzed soy protein, soybean oil, and soy lecithin. Whenever we utilize soy ingredients you will find “soy” indicated in the ingredient statement.
Our Smokehouse® almonds contain an FDA approved natural smoke flavor derived from the burning of hickory wood and is considered vegan.
The following Blue Diamond snack almond products contain dairy ingredients.
- Bold Salt & Vinegar